Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ok....so I've had a rough few days. It all goes back to Friday. This kid in my class that never dresses out and wears the same clothes almost every day asked to go outside and kick the soccer ball with a few other kids. I let him. I stayed inside to watch the other 23 kids in my class and I would peek my head out the door and check on them every so often. Not even 5 minutes after I checked last, this boy comes into my office really upset. There was a girl with him and I asked what was wrong. When they were out there kicking the ball he had picked up this metal pole that goes down into the fence. The ball was kicked at his head and as he stuck his hand up (same hand the pole is in) to knock it down the pole hits him in his mouth and breaks his tooth. So I told him to calm down and go to the nurse. No big deal...thought it was over....NOPE!

Yesterday, his dad calls the school and is coming back on us for insurance money to cover getting his tooth fixed. Come to find out, this kid doesn't have much money and his parents couldnt pay for this. I was so upset! I just felt sorry for him....but it's all my fault! I was not supervising properly. At first I thought my principal was mad at me, but come to find out she understood. You see...we have 3 PE classes going on at the same time in the same gym-- 6-12 grade. Chaos to say the least!!! So, we always allow our kids to go out and we normally keep an eye on them. But with that many kids it is impossible for everyone to play in the gym much less for me to try and teach. This has been going on for YEARS and I am the one that it finally affects...me, a second year teacher trying to keep my job and now b/c of me the school is out $3,000!! Just yesterday the weightlifing teacher had an issue during his 2nd block class and he was up in the office during 3rd block. His class was in the gym, down in the parking lot, and in the weight room. He doesnt have a clue where some are half the time and he has been here and doing that for YEARS!! Nothing has ever happened and now it happens to me....SUCKS!

Anyway, sorry this was such a long blog...just upset and needed to vent! BAH!!

2 comments:

Morgan Coulter said...

Mallory!!!
Hang in there! I taught PE at decatur high school before Caroline was born and I feel your pain. I was the only teacher for girls and I would have some classes of 50 or so and just me. Once, I was in the bathroom when someone had a seizure and another girl was trying to pry open her mouth and hold her tongue while it weas going on!

KBroome said...

Oh gosh, what a hard day! I hope your week gets better!